Sunday, April 17, 2016

When a Book Moves You

Moves you isn't exactly right.  When a book blows your mind.  Blows your head off.  Makes you cry, makes you want to start reading it again from the beginning.  When you want to buy copies for your friends and say, "Read this, read this right now, what are you waiting for, I am so not kidding."

Seriously.  I am not kidding, have you started reading it yet?

I finished The Year of the Runaways by Sunjeev Sahota this afternoon.  Yes, I cried.  Partly because I didn't want it to be over, but also because the ending was so beautiful.

The Year of the Runaways is a novel about a group of immigrants from India who end up in England.  And I don't want to say much more than that -  immigration is a hot button issue and this book isn't about an "issue."  It's about people.  About life and families and dreams and faith.  The writing is simple, but like poetry in its simplicity.  You're transported, you're reminded why you love reading.  Why reading is magic. 

Buy this book.  Or ask me and I'll send you a copy.  But now I'm going to go back to read and savor the last chapter again.     



No comments:

Post a Comment